Ideas for Maths Week 2016
With thanks to the many teachers who contributed their ideas and shared what was happening in their schools during maths week at our AGM
- Puzzle of the Day Competition - A senior and Junior daily completion to solve a maths puzzle. Puzzle of the day given to every teacher and 10 minutes "drop and read" style time given in class at a particular time for students to engage with the puzzle. Students put their answers in a dropbox. Winners drawn and announced over intercom. Prize was a lunch voucher sponsored by the school shop. Suitable puzzles can be found at www.mathsisfun.com/puzzles/
- Treasure Hunt - Students have to try find locations of math puzzles scattered throughout the school before they can solve them.
- Maths Puzzle Circuit Race- In the Hall TY students have maths tasks and puzzles set up at different stations. Students are timed in a race to complete the circuit.
- Maths Games - Time given over in maths class to engage in some "fun" or interesting maths activity. Why not try the game of 24 as described below?
- External Maths Events & Online Competitions - Maths www.mathsweek.ie lists events throughout the country and has a number of competitions that students could partake in.